Wednesday 14 November 2012

Week 1: The New Recruits



The start of my amazing adventure learning how to manage woodland using traditional coppicing techniques!

There are 6 of us on the course here at Coppicewood College in Cillgeran but David is unable to join us until the end of the month. So Andrew, Stef, Kieron, Penny and I were welcomed briefly by Bruce Slark (Secretary of Coppicewood College) and Nick (Senior Tutor). Then Nick did the required talk about Health and Safety which mercifully took the view that, as adults, for the most part we could decide for ourselves what was appropriate clothing and take responsibility for our own well being but that specific hazards would be pointed out as we went along. We were encouraged to make full use of the breaks to relax, particularly if we were doing work that used unfamiliar muscles. And in that spirit we had a tea break before starting work!
 

I have sharpened tools here before during my time as a volunteer but it was really useful to have the theory and practice explained systematically and then to sharpen the slasher I was going to be using with Nick and Martin keeping an eye on us all and checking the finished edge.

We spent the rest of the day clearing the rides we were going to be using over the next few weeks. The joy of working in this way with hand tools is that I can hear the sounds of the woods and talk to my companions whereas with a brushcutter the noise and smell are unpleasant and the protective clothing required can be uncomfortable. Nick, Barbara and Martin had told me it was just as quick and effective to use hand tools and despite our inexperience they were right!

Next day the pace quickened a tad. We went to a plot cut a few years ago where some of the wood had been left stacked in situ and slashed our way through the undergrowth to extract cord wood to make a ‘road’ where the main ride was very muddy. With 8 of us working together it did not take long to find and extricate enough material. Then we took turns to move material from where we had collected it to the work area, dig earth from beside the path to build up the low point, cut wood to length and position the cut pieces across the boggy section. Then we dug more earth along the path sides and used it to secure the ends of the wood, at the same time making a drainage ditch. By 3pm the job was done and had cost nothing but some effort. Had we put down rubble it would just have sunk unless we had first dug out the mud and laid a membrane. In the wood all materials would have had to be manhandled or barrowed as no vehicle can get through.


By way of light relief until the end of the day we went for a walk along ‘Steve’s ride’ and had a preliminary lesson in tree identification. The knowledge the tutors have about the flora and fauna, from insects to deer, is huge. Will I ever know as much? Probably not. I have left it too late. But I will glean as much as I can over the next 6 months.


Over the weekend I have sawn up some wood felled last year in the garden, mainly pruning, and stacked it in the woodshed. My technique is much better after the instruction in tension and compression. I have also noticed that I have been inspired to learn more and have been greedily re-reading books on my shelves and articles on the internet.

Words and photos by Sue Laverack

No comments:

Post a Comment